Full of lean protein and low on calories, Belize shrimp is a smart addition to health-conscious diets. The Responsible Choice seafood item contains all the amino acids your cells can’t synthesize on their own, boosts your intake of zinc and selenium, and provides vitamins A and B-12 to support healthy red blood cells.
Hy-Vee’s Responsible Choice Belize shrimp is sourced from Royal Mayan Shrimp Farms and is certified by the Global Aquaculture Alliance’s Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) standard to a 3 Star level, providing assurance that the shrimp was produced responsibly.
Here is one of my favorite recipes, a light appetizer that is perfect for spring. The starter focuses on rich avocado, crisp shrimp, bright lemon and goat cheese. Pair it with a Vinho Verde white wine to kick off any gathering this season.
All-Natural Responsible Choice Belize Shrimp with Avocado Lemon Chevre Mousse
- 1 French baguette, sliced on the bias, 1/4-inch thick
- Olive oil, as needed
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 ripe avocados, seeded
- 4 to 5 oz chevre, softened
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb cooked (51-60 count) shrimp, tails removed
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced on the bias
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place sliced French bread on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until bread is browned and crispy; cool completely.
- In a food processor, combine the avocado, chevre and lemon zest; pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- With the food processor running, add heavy cream and continue to mix until light and smooth. Adjust seasoning.
- To serve, place a small amount of mousse on a crostini, top with a cooked shrimp and garnish with diced roasted red pepper and green onion.