Hello, Seafoodies! Each New Year, many people make resolutions to get healthy and eat better. Hy-Vee takes pride in helping customers achieve their health and wellness goals. Our in-store dietitians offer many services that can help you.
Eating seafood can truly make a substantial improvement in overall health. Generally, seafood is a high-protein, low-fat food that provides a wide range of health benefits that come from the vast stockpiles of minerals, vitamins and organic compounds it contains. Choosing Responsible Choice seafood items ensures that you are consuming the best possible option when it comes to seafood items.
Here are six great health benefits of consuming seafood this year:
- Weight Loss – If you compare serving sizes, seafood offers some of the lowest calories per serving. Low in calories and high in protein – you’ll get more health benefits with fewer calories by consuming seafood.
- Protein Content – Protein intake ensures proper metabolic activity, tissue repair, cellular growth and a wide variety of necessary aspects of health. Proteins are some of the most essential parts of our diets and seafood is a very strong source.
- Heart Health – Packed with omega 3s and low amounts of omega 6 fatty acids, seafood can help greatly reduce cholesterol and reduce the overall strain on the cardiovascular system as a whole. Look for Responsible Choice seafood items such as salmon, cod, barramundi and many more.
- Wound Healing – Seafood high in zinc, such as oysters, can quicken wound healing rates and is also important for proper growth and development of children and young adults, as well as the maintenance of bodily function for people of all ages.
- Blood Circulation – Iron is a key component in the formation of red blood cells in the body, and is the primary defense against anemia. Iron is common in seafood and is highest in oysters and shrimp. Iron ultimately helps bodies function efficiently and boosts the overall metabolic rate.
- Immune Function – Properly feeding the immune system boosts its fighting power. Seafood high in vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc and other minerals can have a positive effect on your immune system and help keep you healthy.
Stop by your Hy-Vee and ask your store’s dietitian for help in developing a plan to incorporate Responsible Choice seafood into your diet to live a happier, healthier you. Healthy you, healthy oceans; now that is a Responsible Choice!