Dish on Fish is an excellent seafood blog where you can explore new seafood recipes and learn relevant, relatable and easy-to-understand health and nutrition information about seafood. Hy-Vee is a partner of the National Fisheries Institute, which sponsors the blog and encourages Americans to eat seafood at least twice a week, as recommended by the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Seafood is a vital part of a healthy diet. Hy-Vee strives to provide customers with high-quality, Responsible Choice seafood and our Seafoodies blog provides detailed information and tips. We want to share Dish on Fish with you so you can find more resources, tips and recipes to help you enjoy seafood and reap its benefits.
From Dish On Fish:
Fall harvest time is here, which means we’ll start seeing more winter squash and other tasty fall ingredients at our local farmer’s markets and grocery stores. The combination of sweet acorn squash and seafood is a match made in taste bud heaven. We love acorn squash’s buttery taste almost as much as we love savory seafood.
What’s even better? Seafoodies in need of a gluten-free dinner idea can enjoy this easy and filling meal with no worries!
Acorn Squash and Seafood
In honor of National Acorn Squash Day earlier this week, we’re sharing the perfect seasonal seafood combination: Acorn Squash & Crab. We combined tender and juicy crab meat with fresh, oven roasted acorn squash for a healthy blend of flavor and texture.
This dish is equal parts comforting, nutritious and delicious. Plus, these two starring ingredients provide important nutrients for the coming cold and flu season. Seafood, like crab, is rich in the antioxidant selenium, while acorn squash is rich in the antioxidants vitamin C and beta-carotene. All of these nutrients help to boost our immune system.
It’s also the perfect choice for anyone following a gluten-free diet. Seafood caters to a variety of dietary restrictions, making it a great addition to holiday menus.
This yummy roasted acorn squash and seafood pairing is also perfect for meal prepping ahead of busy weeknights or wowing significant others on date night. Plus, you won’t believe how easy this gluten-free dish is to make.
What are you waiting for? Let’s get roasting!
Acorn Squash & Crab
Suggested cooking tools: Glass baking dish, sauté pan
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeds scooped out (leaving a “bowl” in acorn squash)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 lb. lump crab meat, drained
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup gluten-free panko crumbs or crushed gluten-free rice cereal (like Rice Chex)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place acorn squash halves cut side in a glass baking dish; set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat; sauté garlic and celery until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add parsley and Old Bay seasoning. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine crab, cream cheese and cooked vegetables. Mix to combine all ingredients; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon, scoop mixture into squash “bowls.” Divide mixture between squash bowls. (It is okay to over-stuff “bowls.”) Top with Parmesan cheese and panko or cereal. Cover with foil; cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until stuffing is browned and squash is tender. Makes 4 servings.