Authored by John Rohrs & Chef Adam Finnegan John here: Doctors advise pregnant women and others wanting to adopt a heart-healthy diet to eat more fish, but mercury content can be a concern. Hy-Vee works with its suppliers to provide several species that not only are responsibly caught, but contain very little mercury. The FDA doesn’t require mercury-content labels, but at Hy-Vee, we want to make sure that information is at consumers’ fingertips. Just look for the Responsible Choice seafood options on our Low Mercury Card, available at the seafood counter. Low mercury, responsibly harvested options include:
- Catfish* (farmed in the USA)
- Clams (farmed in the USA and wild)
- Dungeness crab* (wild)
- Mussels* (farmed)
- Oysters* (farmed and wild)
- Coho salmon* (wild USA and Canada)
- King salmon* (wild USA and Canada)
- Sockeye salmon* (wild USA and Canada)
- Scallops (farmed and wild)
- Trout* (farmed in the USA)
(*These species contain the daily minimum of Omega-3 fatty acids per 3.5 oz serving)
Adam here: One of the best options right now is sockeye salmon, which arrives fresh in the Hy-Vee stores during the summer season. This is very high-quality fish. Hy-Vee’s supplier owns the rights to a portion of the Copper River where sockeye salmon is harvested, so this is fish you can’t get anywhere else. It’s inspected and certified as wild-caught, hormone- and antibiotic-free, and it arrives packed in ice, every single day. It’s never frozen. With all that going for it, there’s no need to mess with it by adding heavy sauces and seasonings. Just add some salt, pepper and olive oil and keep it simple. Sockeye salmon is a firm fish that is best grilled. I prefer to grill it with the skin on or on a cedar plank, then I top it with a tropical salsa that has bright flavors.
Here is a salsa recipe that is a big hit with our customers. Combine all of the following ingredients and chill until you’re ready to serve it.
- 3/4 cup diced mango
- 3/4 cup diced grilled pineapple
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced fine
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making your own salsa, we’ve been doing them in-house and offer eight different salsas in our fresh cases. Our customers love the concept of topping their fish with our fresh salsas and our dietitians love it too.