Nothing pairs with the grill like Responsible Choice seafood. Not only does it meet Hy-Vee’s high standards for freshness, but it’s also fish you can feel good about eating. With the Responsible Choice label comes the confidence in knowing the fishery or farm uses sustainable catch methods.
Hy-Vee stores are featuring Copper River salmon now and will continue to feature some of the best of the catch through fall. With its thick skin, it’s perfect for the grill.
Both of the recipes below include vegetables. For other side dishes, check out some of the selections in the Hy-Vee salad bars, garlic bread from the bakery that can be warmed on the grill or any of the twice-baked potatoes, stuffed mushrooms or peppers in the full-service meat case.
Grilled Scallops with Fresh Avocado, Tomato & Corn Salsa
All you need:
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- dash hot sauce or cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 pounds scallops, patted dry
All you do:
- In a bowl, for salsa, combine avocado, tomato, corn, cilantro, red onion, lime juice and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat grilling. Combine cumin, cayenne, paprika and salt. Season scallops with spice mixture. Use oil to oil the grill well. Grill scallops 2 to3 minutes per side or until nicely charred and just cooked through.
- Serve scallops with salsa on top.
Grilled Copper River Salmon with Grilled Vegetables
All you need:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 (5 oz each) salmon fillets, with skin
- olive oil, for grill
- 1 zucchini or yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 1 red onion, quartered with root still intact
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Hy-Vee Fish & Seafood Grinder Seasoning, as needed
- olive oil, as needed
- squeeze of fresh lemon
All you do:
- Prepare grill for medium heat cooking.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cumin, dry mustard and cinnamon in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture on the top side (non-skin) of the salmon fillets.
- Clean the grill grates well and rub with oil; place the seasoned salmon fillet skin-side-down on the grill and close lid.
- Allow salmon to cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until it flakes in the center (do not flip salmon.)
- While salmon is cooking, toss zucchini, red pepper and onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season well with the grinder seasoning. Place vegetables on the grill and cook until crisp-tender. To remove salmon from the grill, slide a spatula between the skin and the flesh and remove.
- Top the fish and vegetables with a squeeze of fresh lemon before serving.