Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Source: Hy-Vee ad from December 8, 2013
All you need:
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers, divided
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Hy-Vee evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce
- Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Hy-Vee skim milk
- 1 Hy-Vee large egg
- Hy-Vee vegetable oil
All you do:
- In a large bowl, combine crab meat and 1 cup cracker crumbs.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add to bowl with crab mixture. Stir in evaporated milk, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 6 hours.
- Form crab mixture into 16 (approximately 1-1/2-inch diameter) balls. In a medium bowl, whisk milk and egg together. In a separate medium bowl, place remaining 1 cup cracker crumbs. Roll balls in egg mixture, then coat well with crumbs. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large stock pot, heat 2 inches oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches and turning occasionally, fry crab poppers until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels.