Serves: 8 (1 jumbo corn-crab cake or 2 mini corn-crab cakes each)
Source: adapted from Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2010
All you need:
- 1 cup Hy-Vee mayonnaise, divided
- 1/2 cup Hy-Vee sour cream
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Hy-Vee salt
- 4 fresh ears of corn or 2 cups Hy-Vee frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 3 tbsp Hy-Vee butter, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Hy-Vee large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cups Hy-Vee plain bread crumbs, divided
- 12 oz lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
All you do:
- For chipotle cream, stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle peppers, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add corn, onion and bell pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft. Cool 10 minutes.
- Stir together eggs, remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Stir in cooled corn, onion and peppers. Gently fold in 2/3 cup bread crumbs and crab meat. Chill mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- To make jumbo corn-crab cakes, using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, shape crab meat mixture into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. To make mini corn-crab cakes, using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, shape crab meat mixture into 16 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Place on baking sheet and chill patties 10 minutes for easier handling.
- Stir together remaining 2/3 cup bread crumbs and cornmeal in a 9-inch pie plate. Dip patties into crumb mixture, turning to coat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side for jumbo cakes and 3 to 4 minutes for mini cakes. Repeat using remaining tablespoon butter and remaining patties. Serve with chipotle cream.
|Daily nutritional values:
8% vitamin A
10% vitamin C
|Nutrition information per serving:
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Trans fats: 0g