All you need:
- 15 raw clams (2 to 2-1/2 pounds) or 6 oz canned clams
- add 5 (8 oz each) bottles clam juice
- add 10 slices Hy-Vee bacon, chopped
- add 1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
- add 4 tbsp Hy-Vee butter
- add 1 c. Hy-Vee flour
- add 5 medium Hy-Vee russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- add 1/2 c. Hy-Vee skim milk
- add 1/2 c. Hy-Vee half-and-half
- add 1 tsp Hy-Vee salt
- add Hy-Vee ground black pepper, to taste
All you do:
- If using raw clams, soak in fresh water for 20 minutes. Scrub shells. In a stock pot with lid, bring 1 cup water to boiling. Add clams and steam for 10 to 15 minutes, removing the clams as they open. Discard any that do not open. Remove clams from shells, chop and set aside; discard shells.
- Heat clam juice in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove and crumble bacon, reserving drippings. Add onions to skillet. Cook over medium heat until translucent. Add butter, bacon and flour to onions and cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat on clam juice to medium-high. Add onion mixture to saucepan while whisking continuously. Continue stirring to ensure no lumps form. Add clams and stir. Add potatoes, milk, half-and-half and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with black pepper.