Hello, Seafoodies! Each New Year, many people make resolutions to get healthy and eat better. Hy-Vee takes pride in helping customers achieve their health and wellness goals. Our in-store dietitians offer many services that can help you.
Eating seafood can truly make a substantial improvement in overall health. Generally, seafood is a high-protein, low-fat food that provides a wide range of health benefits that come from the vast stockpiles of minerals, vitamins and organic compounds it contains. Choosing Responsible Choice seafood items ensures that you are consuming the best possible option when it comes to seafood items.
Here are six great health benefits of consuming seafood this year:
- Weight Loss – If you compare serving sizes, seafood offers some of the lowest calories per serving. Low in calories and high in protein – you’ll get more health benefits with fewer calories by consuming seafood.
- Protein Content – Protein intake ensures proper metabolic activity, tissue repair, cellular growth and a wide variety of necessary aspects of health. Proteins are some of the most essential parts of our diets and seafood is a very strong source.
- Heart Health – Packed with omega 3s and low amounts of omega 6 fatty acids, seafood can help greatly reduce cholesterol and reduce the overall strain on the cardiovascular system as a whole. Look for Responsible Choice seafood items such as salmon, cod, barramundi and many more.
- Wound Healing – Seafood high in zinc, such as oysters, can quicken wound healing rates and is also important for proper growth and development of children and young adults, as well as the maintenance of bodily function for people of all ages.
- Blood Circulation – Iron is a key component in the formation of red blood cells in the body, and is the primary defense against anemia. Iron is common in seafood and is highest in oysters and shrimp. Iron ultimately helps bodies function efficiently and boosts the overall metabolic rate.
- Immune Function – Properly feeding the immune system boosts its fighting power. Seafood high in vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc and other minerals can have a positive effect on your immune system and help keep you healthy.
Stop by your Hy-Vee and ask your store’s dietitian for help in developing a plan to incorporate Responsible Choice seafood into your diet to live a happier, healthier you. Healthy you, healthy oceans; now that is a Responsible Choice!
Hello, Seafoodies! Last week Hy-Vee kicked off the annual crab sale, the absolute best time of the year to pick up some of Alaska’s most prized and sustainable resource. Alaska crab fisheries are one of the best managed wild fisheries in the world. As a result, all Alaska crab sold by Hy-Vee is labeled with our Responsible Choice logo.
King crab is measured by the number of king crab legs, excluding claws, it would take to reach 10 pounds of meat. For example, 6- to 9-count king crab legs would take between six and nine crab legs to weigh 10 pounds. That is more than one pound per leg. Wow!
In Alaska, crab is king! No other shellfish in the world projects a more elegant image or offers such widespread appeal than Alaska King Crab. Harvested from the icy waters of Alaska, this shellfish is always sweet, succulent and flavorful. It is also nutritious, low in fat and is unmatched for its natural rich flavor and tender texture. The largest and most impressive of all the crabs caught in the world, Alaska King Crab lends itself to a variety of attractive plate presentations from appetizers, chowders and soups to main course entrees. You and your guests are going to love it!
Celebrate the holidays this year with Responsible Choice Alaska King Crab and eat like a king!
Hy-Vee is committed to seafood sustainability and healthy oceans throughout the global seafood market, and our procurement policy mandates it. The Responsible Choice logo means that you can be assured any item with this logo is a good choice for your family and the environment.
Responsible Choice Natural Wild Gulf shrimp are 100% natural; this means absolutely no chemicals or added water. Natural shrimp have a true shrimp flavor profile with a firm bite, much like lobster meat. All of Hy-Vee’s Gulf shrimp is harvested and packed for Hy-Vee by Paul Piazza & Son, Inc., a leader and driving force for responsibility in the Gulf shrimp industry. Our partnership has allowed Hy-Vee to supply responsible, U.S.A. Gulf shrimp to the Midwest.
One of the biggest environmental concerns of harvesting Gulf shrimp is the bycatch of sea turtles. Our supplier requires all boats they purchase shrimp from to have TEDs (Turtle Escapement Devices), allowing sea turtles to safely pass through the nets, eliminating the bycatch of these beautiful creatures. This is just one of the many facets of supplying a responsible wild Gulf product to our customers.
Holiday gatherings and events will be coming up soon, and shrimp is a popular item at the table. Stop by your local Hy-Vee today to try the difference between regular shrimp and natural, Responsible Choice shrimp. Your event will be something your guests will talk about all year with 100% Natural Gulf Shrimp. True shrimp flavor, firm bite and delicious – they are “Shrimply Amazing!”